With Halloween just around the corner, here are a few safety tips.
1. Take a digital photo of your kids before you trick or treat. While it's great for the scrapbook, it's important to have a recent and detailed description in the event o f an emergency.
2. Make sure your child's costume is safe-Is the fabric fire retardant? Does their mask have proper eye, nose and mouth openings? Can they walk easily in it? Are their props for play only?
3. If you are headed out with a large group make sure there is a buddy system place. A big crowd is fun, but it's easy for a child to get left behind or mixed in with other groups.
4. If your kids are heading out with friends, make sure you know who they are trick or treating with. Exchange phone numbers with your child's friends and their parents. In the event of an emergency they will be the first people you probably call.
5. Check through the candy bag before letting your child dig in. Look for any unopened or unsealed candy or treats and dispose of them. Stay away from homemade treats.
Source: Benton Co and Smart911