Siloam Springs, Arkansas (April 26, 2012)
The Threefold Advocate, John Brown University’s student newspaper, was once again named the ‘Newspaper of the Year’ during the Arkansas College Media Association 2012 Media Contest held on April 20 in Little Rock.
“Behind each award is hours of interviewing, writing, editing and designing,” said editor-in-chief Russell Hixson, a senior journalism major. “On behalf of all the staff I would like to thank the JBU community that reads, responds and contributes to the Threefold.”
The Threefold Advocate took first place in General Excellence and Editorial Writing among nine other Arkansas colleges and universities represented, including the University of Arkansas, University of Central Arkansas and Ouachita Baptist University. The Threefold Advocate took first in general excellence in 2008 and again in 2010.
“I am beyond proud of the Threefold-Advocate team. This year, they have tackled some really challenging topics,” said Marquita Smith, assistant professor of journalism and faculty newspaper advisor. “The students continue to develop their journalism skills, editing, newsgathering and reporting and layout and design. The awards from the ACMA are a great affirmation of the journalism the students produced this year.”
Individual awards were given to:
- Russell Hixson- first place in Online Newswriting, first place in Front Page Layout and second place for Editor of the Year.
- Jenny Redfern- first place in Featured Writing, third in Speech Coverage Writing, and first and third place in Feature Page Layout.
- Brittany Reading- first place in Front Page Layout and third place in Art/Illustration.
- Seth Kaye- first place in Editorial Cartoon.
- Emerson Ayala- second place in Headlines.
- Sydney Van Wyk- third place in Sports Page Layout.
Honorable mentions were given to:
- Jon Skinner, for Personality Profile.
- Anali Reyes, for Feature Page Layout.
- Russell Hixon, for Art/Illustration.
- Brittany Reading, for Feature Writing.
- Jenny Redfern, for Sports Feature Writing.
John Brown University is a private Christian university, ranked first by “U.S. News & World Report” in the Southern Region among baccalaureate colleges. JBU enrolls more than 2,000 students from 42 states and 45 countries. JBU is a member of Arkansas’ Independent Colleges and Universities and the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities.